Saturday, September 28, 2013

Salvatierra : Álava (Euskadi)

Álava gradually lost the use of the Basque language with only some parishes in contact with Biscay keeping the old language as of today. The tiniest Basque province, Álava has always been a bit more opened to foreign influences because of the Ebro valley than other Basque areas.


  • Sample :

Full size
  •  Analysis :

- Lepto type : triangle-shaped face, long convex nose, grey eyes are the most striking features. 

 


 
Those people look Basque. Some other people, still rather leptomorphic, are transitional with mainstream Spanish types as expected for this area : I found such people in La Rioja for instance.




- Brachy type : truly (male) brachy types are absent from this sample contrary to my Alavan sample in the Ebro valley. IMO, it clearly means the Ebro valley saw more mixing than in Salvatierra which retains obvious Basque pecularities.



  • Morphotypes :

2 comments:

  1. We say Agurain, I had not heard (nor read) "Salvatierra" in decades, although it seems it's still co-official.

    I had to take a very close look at the sample to spot the "transitional" individuals, on first sight they whole panel yelled "Basque!", as corresponds to such a northernly and mountain district of Araba. But I reckon you are right: those few do look transitional.

    As for the "brachy" type, it is not a Mediterranean thing but a continental one and AFAIK the first brachicephalic individuals spotted ever in the Basque country are Bronze Age miners from the area of Irun, in Gipuzkoa (i.e. towards the North). The author speculated that those exotic brachycephalic miners might have arrived as mineral prospectors but it seemed implicit that the origin was towards France, not towards Spain.

    Said that, it's possible that "brachy" types also arrived later via the Ebro but I'm not aware of it as of now. Have you spotted them in Spain, La Rioja, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugly people..awful mix of dark hair and ghost unattractive skin. Sardineans are much more pure and beautiful, with less central eu genes.
    Infact C3 is the only perfect looking scardinean one; and he's the most beautiful. Another basque that scream sardinea, malloreddu, cannonau, sheeps is Indurain; archetypal scardinean i'd say

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.