Saturday, March 3, 2012

Las Merindades : Old Castile (Spain)

North of the Ebro river and inbetween Cantabria and Basque lands is the heart of Old Castile, formerly inhabited by the Autrigones.




  • Sample :
Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark, leptomorphic, long and triangular head, long and straight nose, close-set eyes, full eyebrows, pointy chin and large jaw
~ (Dinaromorphic) Atlanto-Mediterranean




Unsurprisingly enough, the main type found in the area is a classical North Iberian type that now and then shows similarities with archetypal Basque types without being exactly similar (dinaromorphism being the main common trait).


- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, brachymorphic, large face, square-box head head, little and straight nose, rather distanced eyes, little eyelids, large jaw
~ Alpinoid





Stocky brahyorphic types do look rather pan-Iberian.


  • Final morphotypes :

2 comments:

  1. They do NOT look very much Basque-looking, with some exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My feelings too : archetypal Basque types disappear quite quickly as one leaves Basque lands, at least in the Iberian peninsula (but in France as well).

    Still, there are similarities : within the Iberian context, it is quite clear that those individuals share more with Basque people (triangle-shaped head, convex nose, ...) than with other Iberian sub-ethnicities (stocky round-headed Galicians, Berid people from La Mancha, Nordoid "horsy" Portuguese people from Minho, ...).

    To be honest, I think the same applies in France with Gascon people : only areas next to Basque lands show a fair share of archetypal Basque phenotypes, the rest still is within the same spectrum (on average, what I call "dinaromorphic Atlanto-Meds") without the definite traits that would make you say "this individual is Basque-looking".

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.