Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dienekes' K7b calculator : my results

I'll just stick to Dienekes' K7b analysis. I have recently contacted a girl from my home Béarn who happens to have been tested on 23andme : she originates from villages close to modern Basque lands, in the valley of the Saison river in Western Béarn whereas my ancestry mostly lies in Vic-Bilh and Montanérès, an area in closer contact with both Central Gascony (thus the Garonne valley) and the Iberian peninsula (Aragon for instance).






In red : her ancestry
In green : my ancestry's centre of gravity


In order to respect her privacy, I won't divulgate her alias in Dienekes' analysis but she might very well comment on this blog as she's an active reader.

Me / Her

South Asian 0.7 / 0
West Asian 2.9 / 0.9
Siberian 0 / 0
African 0 / 0
Southern 26 / 28.1
Atlantic/Baltic 70.5 / 71
East Asian 0 / 0


She's clearly less influenced by "Asian" admixture (read : Neolithic) than I am (0.9% against my global 3.6% !) which is pretty consistent with the fact that she originates from a "remote" area which borders modern Basque lands (and which was still Basque-speaking in 1385 as far as medieval charts are concerned).


On the following chart, I'm #1 and she's #13. In comparison with mainstream French people tested by Dienekes, we're noted for a less than average West Asian affinity. Amongst French Basque people, West Asian affinity is virtually absent. It is pretty fair to guess that West Asian "admixture" in Gascony declines as one gets nearer to Basque lands.



It is pretty obvious that 2 individuals are not enough to have a clear vision of genetic diversity in ancient Vasconian lands : I might very well be "high" or "low" on West Asian admixture for my micro-region, I cannot truly say. We'd need more samples and then studies centred on SW France. In other studies, my Basque lineage was evident though I also had strong affinities with Aragon and Catalonia : something is going on in the Central Pyrenees, either because this area was more opened to subsequent migrations through the Ebro and the Garonne highways, or because ancient Vasconian lands has developed interval variation in ancient times.

3 comments:

  1. Ca m'intéresserait de connaître vos résultats à vous deux sur l'essai k12b. Il semble qu'à l'approche de l'Atlantique (en Europe en général), le composant Caucasus est remplacé par le composant Gedrosian. Les Basques n'ayant pas de Caucasus, mais pas mal de Gedrosian (la situation est comparable mais moins extrème dans les îles britanniques), en France les deux s'équilibrent, et plus à l'est, le composant Gedrosian se réduit assez rapidement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mes résultats :

      Gedrosia 7.5%
      Siberian 0.3%
      Northwest African 0%
      Southeast Asian 0%
      Atlantic Med 60.9%
      North European 24.1%
      South Asian 0.7%
      East African 0%
      Southwest Asian 2.6%
      East Asian 0%
      Caucasus 3.8%
      Sub Saharan 0%

      Les siens :

      Gedrosia 10.4%
      Siberian 0%
      Northwest African 0%
      Southeast Asian 0%
      Atlantic Med 69.4%
      North European 19.2%
      South Asian 0%
      East African 0%
      Southwest Asian 0.9%
      East Asian 0%
      Caucasus 0%
      Sub Saharan 0%

      Delete
  2. Looks like I over-interpretated those results. South Asian seems to be present in Europe now and then, it seems to be shared ancient affinity rather than true admixture. We'd need morer Béarnais samples.

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.