Sunday, January 22, 2012

Durango : Basque Country (Spain)

The area of Durango - dubbed Duranguesado in Spanish and Durangaldea in Basque - is part of the province of Biscay : it has been continuously inhabited by men since Upper Paleolithic times as proved for instance by the "cueva de Bolinkoba" (Abadiño).




  • Sample :
Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark, leptomorphic, long and triangular head, long and straight nose, close-set eyes, full eyebrows, pointy chin and large jaw
~ (Dinaromorphic) Atlanto-Mediterranean



Those phenotypes are quite representative of an average Basque type which can be found throughout Basque lands.

Variants of this type are somehow more interesting to my SW French eyes : not that impressive leptomorphism, grey eyes, chestnut hair, angular features, ... I've yet to fully know whether or not this type is that abundant in French Basque lands but for sure, those people are what I associate with being Basque-looking, not as in "stereotypically looking" but as in "these types are not to be found amongst neighbouring populations". Notice that such types were completely absent in Rioja Alavesa.





- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, brachymorphic, large face, square-box head head, little and straight nose, rather distanced eyes, little eyelids, large jaw
~ Alpinoid




Brachymorphic types are rare as expected for a Basque sample. It is mostly a female thing BTW. Still those people look rather Basque as opposed to Alpinoid types of non-Basque parts of Iberia : pseudo-mongoloid features can be found now and then for instance. These people seem to be rather light-featured as well.

  • Final morphotypes :

4 comments:

  1. You forgot the Dalic type, so exhuberant in Biscay in theory at least. Per Krutwig, the Dalic type only exists in meaningful numbers in Dalarna, Westphalia and Biscay (for him Gipuzkoans were more like Dinarid).

    I'm not sure how correct he was but there is certainly a "subnordid" type that is rather privy to Biscay, the most perfect example of which in this sample is D5. They are usually tall and robust, with blond or light ash-blond hair, light pigmentation and maybe grey eyes. While not as dominant as Krutwig's discourse would make them, they do clearly exist and I think that some individuals in this sample do approach the type.

    I do not see any Alpinid anywhere. D1 is ultranordic (so nordic that she does not even look Basque in fact).

    Other very clear Biscay-Dalic types are (along with the already mentioned D5): A1 (with a Borreby tendency but still not Alpinid surely), B3, C4, C5 - probably others but less clearly so.

    A2 is what we could call a "morrosko" (a pedomorphic robust and tall type with very pale skin and rosy cheeks). I would dub that type more likely to be in fact Alpinoid but anyhow I think that the only brachicephalic people in the Basque Country are me and my siblings, what is probably an Italian import. Yet' you'd classify me as Atlanto-Med, based on frontal impression, however I'm very brachi but you don't see that in a front pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Sorry for posting ths here, since I couldn't find any proper place in the blog to refer to you.

    I find your investigation so interesting, and felt very touched by the way you call it: "passion for the history of the peopling in the World", because I share the same passion.
    I'm a software developer, and I am currently working on a social app for generating the average "faces" of different parts of the world, by letting the users upload their own pictures.
    Is there any way to contact you, so I can ask you about the software you use for the composition, and a little background of genealogic types?

    Feel free to contact me on Twitter, or email me at chardot at delphosproject dot org

    Greetings from Montevideo, Uruguay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anticipating Heraus' answer: http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzMorph.html (the freeware for "fusing" faces).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog so interesting. Your knowledge is quite impressive. Would it be possible for me to send you a picture of someone I know? I would like to get your opinion on weather they look Basque or not.
    Thanks
    Stacey
    sfreitagrt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.