Monday, December 12, 2011

Solsona : Catalonia (Spain)

A pre-Pyrenean Catalan comarca, Solsonès (capital : Solsona) probably was inhabited either by the Lacetani (who gave their name to Catalonia : Lacetania got to be deformed as Catalonia) or the Bergistani, both Iberian tribes.



Solsonès within Catalonia


  • Sample :
Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark, leptomorphic, long and triangular head, long and straight nose, close-set eyes, full eyebrows, pointy chin and large jaw
~ (Dinaromorphic) Atlanto-Mediterranean




Those people belong to a common Catalan type already identified in French Catalonia or in neighbouring Aragon : let's notice some ethnic secondary features such as thick eyebrows, somehow distant eyes, strong jaw, ...


- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, brachymorphic, large face, square-box head head, little and straight nose, rather distanced eyes, little eyelids, large jaw
~ Alpinoid




As expected, people not belonging to Type 1 rather show Alpinoid puffy features already identified in this area.


  • Final morphotypes :

2 comments:

  1. Very roughly the faces in the first category are akin to Basque types, although they may have also equivalents in Spain proper, these are also the variant that looks more like Basques among Spaniards. The second category is not at all alike (with the odd exception: B4 is ambiguous enough) and must have some other origin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also my intuition : the first type is somehow akin to Basque types (though never properly Basque-looking : the overall "shape" is here but not definite traits). I'd dare call it "Eastern Pyrenean" for its distribution really is centred in the Eastern Pyrenees (Pyrenean Languedoc, Catalonia, parts of Aragon, ...).

    As for the second type, it clearly doesn't show Basque affinities indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.