Monday, June 6, 2011

Calahorra : La Rioja (Spain)

The comarca of Rioja Baja is situated near the border with Navarre on the right bank of the Ebro. During ancient Roman times, Calahorra - its main town - was a municipium known as Calagurris : its belonging seems to be blurry as it either in the hands of the Berones or the Vascones.






La Rioja in pre-Roman times



  • Sample :

Full scale



  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Intermediate complexion (from blonde to dark hair, grey/black eyes, rather pale skin on average, ...), leptomorphic, long face (particularly on males), long and convex nose rather parallel to the face, close-set eyes, pointy chin, large jaw
~ Dinaricized Atlanto-Mediterranean




The sample is dominated by dinaromorphic types which is not surprising for an area next to Vasconic lands and once part of Basque-speaking lands. Still people seem to diverge from classical Basque types and are more on par with the usual Iberian types one can find in Castile.

Some individuals - still within the Mediterranoid spectrum - shows interesting features such as a shorter nose, a larger face, ... Such features can be found in Aragon as well, South of the Ebro river.





- Type 2 :
Intermediate complexion (rather dark hair, light eyes, ...), more or less brachymorphic, reduced and "puffy" features, square-box head, little and puffy nose, strong jaw, rather distanced and somehow chinky eyes
~ Alpino-Mediterranean




This type is pretty widespread throughout the Iberian peninsula but might be more specifically Castillian/South Aragonese.


  • Morphotypes finaux / Final morphotypes :

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.