Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lanzarote : Canary Islands (Spain)

Lanzarote was probably the first Canary Island to be settled. The Phoenicians settled there around 1100 BC. The Greek writers and philosophers Herodotus, Plato and Plutarch described the garden of Hesperids, the land of fertility where fruits and flowers smell in the part of the Atlantic.

According to one study (see Canarians, NW Africans, Iberians, etc. from the viewpoint of autosomal DNA on Maju's blog), "Lanzarote (16%) and the larger islands of Tenerife (14%) and Gran Canaria (12%) seem the ones that have received the greatest Iberian input, however they still retain some aboriginal genetics as well."






  • Sample :

Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark complexion, leptomorphic, narrow "horsy" face, long and straight nose yet somehow large, a rather broad jaw, close-set eyes, rather narrow eyelids
~ Mediterranean




Unsurprisingly enough, Lanzarote is dominated by a very classical Iberian type even though to my own eyes, these individuals somehow look "West Iberian" (Portugal, León, Extremadura, ...) because of secondary features such as very horsy traits, almond-shaped eyes, a flat nose, ... Should such features be attributed to North African admixture ?

A square-faced variant of this Mediterranean type can be encountered. Secondary features remain unchanged.




Eventually, still within leptomorphic range, one can find aberrant depigmented "Nordoid" individuals.





- Type 2 : Dark complexion (dark hair, dark skin, ...), brachymorphic, broad face, round features, short and rather convex nose, wide-spaced sloping and rather chinky eyes
~ Alpino-Mediterranean/Berid




Once more such types rather show similarities with types encountered in West Iberia and some individuals might show slight visible North African admixture as well. Eventually, one can find individuals exhibiting interesting fat deposits which somehow remind us of some New World types, funnily enough.




  • Final morphotypes :

1 comment:

  1. Fat people is fat people... that has no boundaries nor I think it should spark laughter. The "new world types" you identify in those three faces are clearly Andalusian (or Andalusian plus Berber).

    The following individuals look pretty much North African to me (though the boundaries are anything but strict): a1, a2 a4, b4, b7, c1, c2, c3, c8, d1. I have doubts about c1, who looks somewhat Andalusian - but he may still be admixed.

    A2 and b7 do look somewhat Amerindian, though I am unaware of Amerindian genetics in Canary Islands, so I'm guessing that it is in fact Berber component that I misinterpret (???). B7 particularly reminds me of Cesar "the dog tamer" (a Californian guy of obvious Mexican ancestry you probably saw on TV).

    There are anyhow a lot of Iberian, or Basque or generic European, looking people. Including some with small noses, alone not any indicator of "Berid" type (for example a5 and b1 look European to me).

    I must say that I find the distinction between "mediterranean/nordic" and "alpinid" more and more pointless. It seems specially useless to identify the origin of people, specially when you identify "alpinid berberids" even if North Africa is super dolicocephalic in general in comparison with Europe (what essentially excludes the existence of any alpinids).

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.