Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Biella : Piedmont (Italy)

A Ligurian people, the Victimuli, fanned out in the plain of Biella (the Bessa) and exploited gold veins near the Elvo, an activity which continued through the early Middle Ages, and even today panning for gold continues as a local hobby.

The Ligurians were an ancient people who gave their name to Liguria, which once stretched from Northern Italy into southern Gaul. It is not known for certain whether they were a pre-Indo-European people akin to Iberians; a separate Indo-European branch with Italic and Celtic affinities; or even a branch of the Celts or Italics.


  • Sample :

Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark complexion, dark eyes, leptomorphic, narrow face, long and straight high-rooted nose that can get convex, close set eyes, large jaw, pointy chin
~ Dinaromorphic Nordo-Mediterranean




Unsurprisingly enough, the sample is dominated by very classical pan-Italian types which are very common in NW Italy (Liguria, Piedmont, Lombardy, ...). Despite being next to the "ethnic French" Valley of Aosta, Biella is totally North Italian as far as phenotypes are concerned. Lighter variants are found as usual.





- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, brachymorphic, round face, rather straight nose, wide set eyes
~ Alpinoid




Brachymorphic types are rather rare in this area as far as my sampling techniques are concerned : such phenomenon was already noticed in Liguria. Furthermore these types are not really that brachymorphic and are certainly not "Alpinid" : there is a sharp contrast between both sides of the Alps.


  • Final morphotypes :

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.