Sunday, February 27, 2011

Logroño : La Rioja (Spain)

The area of Logroño, also known as "La Rioja Media", is delimitated by the Ebro river in the North which constitutes the border with Basque lands, and is mostly made of the valleys of the Iregua and the Jubera rivers, two affluents of the Ebro. Like the remainder of La Rioja, the whole region used to belong to the Kingdom of Navarre and probably beforehand to the Berones whose ethnic character remains debated as most ancient placeames are undoubtedly Celtic even though a Proto-Basque past is very probable as proved by epigraphic remnants which show clear Vasconic traits.




La Rioja in pre-Roman times




  • Sample :

Full scale



  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Intermediate complexion (from blonde to dark hair, grey/black eyes, rather pale skin on average, ...), leptomorphic, long face (particularly on males), long and convex nose rather parallel to the face, close-set eyes, pointy chin, large jaw
~ Dinaricized Atlanto-Mediterranean




Unsurprisingly enough, some individuals exhibit rather obvious Vasconic features such as a strong dinaromorphism (read : a convex nose) or pseudo-slanted grey/green eyes. On average these people are nevertheless rather large-faced (and it is not only about women) which is in contrast with the very leptoprosopic types one can find in Basque lands. Less archetypal Mediterranoid types are found as well.





- Type 2 :
Intermediate complexion (rather dark hair, light eyes, ...), brachymorphic, reduced and "puffy" features, square-box head, little and puffy nose, strong jaw, rather distanced and somehow chinky eyes
~ Alpinoid




Such types are rather rare as far as my sampling techniques allow me to state.


  • Final morphotypes :

4 comments:

  1. I'd say that they are less Basque looking on average than I would have expected. There are many (12 or so markedly) but there is also a tendency not so much towards the Mediterranean but I think towards Castile, the Plateau, instead.

    I wonder if this may be caused by the fact that Logroño city was for many centuries the judicial capital of the whole region, hosting nearly all the repressive and judiciary infrastructure of Castile (inquisition tribunal, police corps later on, etc.) If the sample is fully from the capital (as opposed to the villages of Middle Rioja) this may well be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A4 is your transpyrenean twin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D

    Not twin but he does look a bit like Heraus indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A4 has got the same haircut as me and the very same unability to smile :). That reminds me that I'll renew my family studies soon.

    As for the sample, it's quite clear that it's lacking in obvious Basque types but somehow I find features which would be rarer in Soria and neighbouring areas or so I believe. I'm going to upload a sample in Rioja Alta. I should deal with Alava as well.

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.