Thursday, November 25, 2010

North Karelia : Karelia (Finland)

The ethnic structure of Karelia at the end of the first millennium consisted of Finno-Ugrian tribes. The Finnish Karelians are considered as a regional and cultural sub-group of the ethnic Finns. They speak the eastern or south-eastern dialects of the Finnish language.




  • Sample :

Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Light complexion (blonde hair with ash-blonde shades, sometimes red shades, ...), leptomorphic, general robust features, high forehead, long and straight nose, large jaw, close-set eyes
~ Nordoid




This type, inbetween classical Trønder and East-Nordid types as identified by many authors, is quite typical from NE Europe. This local variant is very robust though and can get quite large-faced. It's also virtually absent from women. Some individuals are rather Finnish-looking because of some distinct features (a braoder nose, high cheekbones, full lips, slanted eyes, ...). "Darker"-featured individuals of some sort are found as well.





- Type 2 : Light complexion (medium light hair with ash-blonde shades, light eyes, ...), brachymorphic, general robust features, squared-box face, high and broad forehead, little and broad nose that can get concave, deep jaw, wide-set - sometimes slanted - eyes
~ Baltid/Lappoid




While some individuals - mostly females - seem to be part of a pretty genetic Northern European variation, other individuals exhibit more striking features seldom seen elsewhere in Europe such as pseudo-slanted eyes. Such features may be more obvious on the following darker-featured individuals : it might hint to a slight actual Asian admixture.





  • Final morphotypes :

2 comments:

  1. Interestingly enough, it's often said that people from Northern Russia are genetically very close to Finns like Karelians. But when I see these people, I just couldn't picture them as being Russian, they just look extremely Finnish to me.
    The male morph in particular looks very Finnish too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the "nordoids" very familiar, I'd say they are "Atlantids" and that their faces can be found in most cases with just slight variants (specially in pigmentation details) in SW Europe.

    While the "baltid/lappoid" group are in general more exotic (and more in line in many cases with what is generally identified as "Nordic" popularly here) some such faces, specially among women, are not rare among Basques.

    Let me put examples to my previous comments:

    Faces that can be found (maybe with minor variations) among Basques (or transition zone Iberians): A1 (clearly nordic), A2 (you say baltid but unsure, a rather common female type over here I'd say), B3 (a clearly Atlantid face, would go unnoticed here, like A2), D2 (not too common but clearly does exist over here, I'd say it's a variant more easy to find around the Czech Republic however). There are some others but maybe they are just too vague in their specificity (B2 or A6 for instance).

    A2, B1 and C1 provide an interesting "transition" from Western to Siberian, so to say. A2, as said before is common even in Iberia/Basque Country, B1 is probably a common type in NW Europe (reminds me to some classical Hollywood actress in fact, can't recall her name) but C1 is already bordering Mongoloid.

    Hope you get my point.

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.