Saturday, October 30, 2010

Vâlcea : Wallachia (Romania)

The area has been inhabited since Dacian and Roman times, and was the site of a castrum. A new fortress was built on the location during the Middle Ages.

The Dacians, situated north of the lower Danube in the area of the Carpathians and Transylvania, are the earliest named people from the present territory of Romania. They are first mentioned in the writings of Ancient Greeks, in Herodotus (Histories Book IV XCIII - "[Getae] the noblest as well as the most just of all the Thracian tribes").


Wallachia (yellow)





  • Sample :
Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark complexion, brachymorphic, large head, little and sometimes distanced oblique eyes, low orbits, broad nose, weak browridges, large jaw
~ Alpinoid/Gorid




This type is specific to Eastern Europe transcending modern ethno-linguistic borders. A rather Romanian-looking variant is characterized by a convex nose.





- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, more or less leptomorphic, probably brachymorphic, narrow eyes, long and narrow straight nose, high forehead, large jaw, double chin
~ Dinarid




Such types are actually quite rare in this area. Conversely, one can find more classical "nose-less" Mediterranoid individuals which look like more leptomorphic variants of individuals from Type 1.


  • Final morphotypes :

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.