Friday, October 29, 2010

Turin : Piedmont (Italy)

Piedmont was inhabited in early historic times by Celtic-Ligurian tribes such as the Taurini and the Salassi. They were later submitted by the Romans (c. 220 BC), who founded several colonies there including Augusta Taurinorum (Turin). The Taurini occupied the upper valley of the river Po, in the centre of modern Piedmont.



  • Sample :

Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Intermedate complexion, dark eyes, leptomorphic, narrow face, long and straight high-rooted nose that can get convex, close set eyes, large jaw, pointy chin
~ Dinaromorphic Nordo-Mediterranean




This is a classical pan-Italian type. As usual, lighter and more impressive individuals noted for very arched noses can be found.




- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion (aqua-blue eyes, ...), more or less brachymorphic, square-box face, little low-rooted nose that can get snub-tipped, wide set eyes
~ Alpinoid/Subnordid




Some leptomorphic individuals ("Subnordid") approach Nordic metrics. Striking North Italian secondary features include aqua-blue eyes, rather little eyelids, blonde undertones, ... This type is rarer amongst males who mostly belong to the first type. Eventually, typical "chubby" Alpinoid North Italian women are found.



  • Final morphotypes :

1 comment:

  1. Your website is a total nonsense. In the regions Lombardy and Piedmont live millions of southern Italians, in cities like Milan and Turin, 80% of people is from the south or is half southern Italian. I live in Piedmont, I know tons of real Piedmontese. Roberto Bolle represents them. Carla Bruni too. Turin's inhabitans are nothing like real Piedmont. There are many people with 3 southerner grandparents and 1 northerner grandparents that gave him/her a northern Italian surname. In minor cities and especially in villages the vast majority of people in Lombardy and Piedmont is pure northern Italian. I don't understand your insane passion for anthropology, however you write things you don't even know what you're talking about. Are these photos taken in Turin? They are most likely a mixture of Piedmontese, Venetians and southern Italians.

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.