Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Carinthia (Slovenia)

In the 7th century the area was part of the Slavic principality of Carantania, which about 743 fell under the suzerainty of Duke Odilo of Bavaria. Over the centuries, German, which carried more prestige, expanded at the expense of Slovene, but the fact that in the 16th century the Estates of Carinthia could still point out that Carinthia was "a Windic Archduchy", i.e. a sovereign Slovene principality, shows that the Carinthian people were aware of their ancient and pre-German roots.

Following the end of World War I and the dissolution of Austria-Hungary, the 1919 Treaty of Saint-Germain stipulated the Carinthian Canal Valley stretching from Tarvisio as far as Pontebba go to Italy and that the Slovene-speaking areas of the Meža Valley, the Drava Valley area around Unterdrauburg,which was afterwards renamed Dravograd, and the Jezersko area be ceded to the new SHS-State.




  • Sample :

Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Light complexion (blonde hair, light eyes, ...), more or less brachymorphic, a rather large face on some individuals, a convex nose on women and puffy features for men, high cheekbones, close-set eyes, large jaw
~ Nordid/Subnordid




This type was much more dinaromorphic and darker on the Slovenian coast : these individuals are much more on par with Austrian variation. Let's notice a rather striking sexual dimorphism.


- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion (from dark to medium blonde hair), brachymorphic, large head, little and distanced oblique eyes, low orbits, rather broad and puffy nose, well drawn oral cavity, full lips, weak browridges, large jaw
~ Alpinid/Gorid




This type is very prevailing amongst males and is rather typically Balkanic/Eastern European. It's virtually absent from neighbouring Austria and Italy which never show such a combination of robust and puffy features.


  • Final morphotypes :

1 comment:

  1. I'm very surprised at your classification of some of the women as Alpinid/Gorid. The first one is clearly Dinarid, while the last one is Dinarized Nordo-Mediterranid (with clear meso- or even dolicocephaly, as the photo is taken from an angle.

    For me the sample classifies as follows:

    Archetypal Balcanic (very deep set eyes, often closer to each other than normal), marked cheeks, narrow and prominent nose: A1 and B3 (this one very marked).

    Dinarid or Dinarized Nordo-Med: A4, A8, B1, B2, B7, B8, C4, C6, D2, D7 and D8. Seems more common in women. All those with semi-profile photo are clearly dolico: A8, B7, D2 and D8. The only man (D7) may look Nordid but I know this type best from North Italy and they are often brachicephalic (my grandpa for instance, tough he had a rounder head which would get him classed as Alpinid, I guess).

    Nordid or Subnordid: A2, A7, C1, D1 and D6. Some (A7, D6) showing clear oriental (Baltid or Balcanic) traits anyhow.

    Lappid or East Baltid: C3 and C8

    Alpinid: D3 and maybe C5 (he could also be a fatty Med)

    Mediterranids: D3 (possibly, reminds me of Zidane), C4 and C5 (these two could be Alpinid), B6 and C2 (generic Western types but brunette, hence Med),C7 and D4.

    Pontid (I think this is the name of this typically Russian-looking face - unsure): C5

    Unclear: A6 (she's clearly Western-looking but with brown hair I can't decide whether Med or Nord) and D5 (probably Nordo-Med but unsure).

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.