Sunday, September 26, 2010

Palencia : Castile and León (Spain)

The fortified Celtiberian settlement is mentioned as Pallantia (Παλλαντία) by Strabo and Ptolemy, a version possibly of the Celtic root pala ("plain"). It was the chief town of the Vaccaei, although Strabo wrongly assigns it to the Arevaci. The city was starved into submission by the Romans in the second century BCE and incorporated into the province of Hispania Tarraconensis, in the jurisdiction of Colonia Clunia Sulpicia (modern Clunia).




  • Sample :


Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Intermediate complexion (from blonde to dark hair, black eyes, rather pale skin on average, ...), leptomorphic, long face (particularly on males), straight or convex nose, close-set eyes, pointy chin, large jaw
~ (Dinaricized) Atlanto-Mediterranean




This is a very classical Iberian type found throughout the whole peninsula that one could dub "conquistador-looking". A previously identified variant characterized by blue eyes and blondish/reddish undertones as noted in Rioja, Soria or Burgos is rarer here. More classical and larger-faced (Alpino-?)Mediterranoids are found as well. Square jaws seem to be rather widely distributed throughout Old Castile.





- Type 2 : Dark complexion (dark hair, black eyes, ...), more or less brachymorphic, reduced and "puffy" features, square-box head, large nose, strong jaw, rather distanced eyes
~ Alpinoid




This type already was already identified in Rioja or Burgos as well and is rather pan-Iberian. Some individuals would fit a "Berid" description.


  • Final morphotypes :

1 comment:

  1. This is the best sample of Bilbao metropolitan area people of immigrant ancestry I have ever seen ;D

    Seriously, even if jokingly too. A few could also have genuine Basque-like features (for instance A2, A5, D3) but what really strikes me is the "immigrant-ancestry Basque" look, really. I know a lot of immigrants came from that area but I only knew in a wider sense (Castile-Leon in general, Galicia too). It'd seem that Palencia was a major source, at least in Bilbao.

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.