Saturday, September 18, 2010

East Tyrol : Tyrol (Austria)

Archaeological findings show people settled in the middle alpine region, later to be called Tyrol, when the glaciers retreated and flora and fauna revived, after the last ice age ended around 12,000 BC.

East Tyrol (German:
Osttirol), is an exclave of the Austrian state of Tyrol, sharing no border with the main North Tyrol part of the state. The area around the former Roman municipium of Aguntum was from the 12th century held by the Counts of Gorizia, who took their residence at Lienz and inherited the County of Tyrol in 1253.







  • Sample :

Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Light, brachymorphic, short and large yet straight nose, square-faced, broad forehead, wide-set eyes, large jaw
~ Alpinoid/Subnordid




This type seems to be quite widespread in the whole Alps, more particularly throughout the German-speaking areas. Some individuals do approach "Nordic" metrics but somehow lack the sharper features found in Type 2 and are characterized by a high forehead.




- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, more or less brachymorphic, a rather large face on some individuals, convex nose, high cheekbones, close-set eyes, large jaw
~ Dinaromorphic Nordid




All these types were already identified in neighbouring South Tyrol. A darker series can be found as well.




  • Final morphotypes :

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.