Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Salamanca : Castile and León (Spain)

Salamanca was founded in the pre-Ancient Rome period by the Vacceos, as one of a pair of forts to defend their territory near the Duero river. The Vaccaei were probably largely of Celtic descent : they often acted in consort with their neighbours, the Celtiberi, suggesting they may have been part of the Celtiberian peoples. The Vaccean civilization was the result of a process of local evolution, importing elements from other cultures, whether by new additions of people or cultural and trading contacts with neighbouring groups. It is also believed that was from these Vaccei that the warlike Arevaci stemmed from around the late 4th Century BC to conquer the eastern meseta.





  • Sample :

Full scale

  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 :
Dark complexion (dark hair but rather pale skin), brachymorphic, broad face, round features, short and broad nose, wide-set eyes, wide-spaced sloping and rather chinky eyes
~ Alpinoid




This type was abundantly found in Portuguese and Leonese areas : it would fit a "Berid" definition. It seems to be quite widespread in the whole NW corner of the Iberian peninsula.


- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, leptomorphic, narrow "horsy" face, long and straight nose, high cheekbones, a rather broad jaw, close-set eyes, rather narrow eyelids
~ Atlanto-Mediterranean




This is a basic Iberian type. Somehow, these people remind us of "horsy" Portuguese types : the nose is not strongly convex and is rather "puffy", the hair is rather light, traits are angular (a feature found in Valladolid as well) ... Another series, totally pan-Iberian :




  • Final morphotypes :

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.