Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Verbano-Cusio-Ossola : Piedmont (Italy)

The Lepontii were an ancient people occupying portions of Rhaetia (in modern Switzerland and northern Italy) in the Alps during the time of the Roman conquest of that territory. The Lepontii have been variously described as a Celtic, Ligurian, Raetian, and Germanic tribe. Recent archeological excavations and their association with the Golasecca culture of Northern Italy may point to a Celtic affiliation, although an amalgamation of Rhaetians (who were partly of Etruscan-related origin) may not be excluded. The chief towns of the Lepontii were Oscela, now Domodossola, and Bilitio, now Bellinzona, Switzerland.



  • Sample :

Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark complexion, leptomorphic, narrow face, long and straight high-rooted nose that can get convex, close set eyes, large jaw, pointy chin
~ Dinaromorphic Nordo-Mediterranean




That is a well identified pan-Italian type. It looks like women tend to be darker than men in this sample as men mostly fall in a lighter - Nordoid - category as far as hair/eye color is concerned. Those individuals are very North Italian-looking BTW.





- Type 2 :
Intermediate complexion, brachymorphic, round face, little low-rooted nose that can get snub-tipped, wide set eyes
~ Alpinoid/Subnordid




Once more, a very classical type abundantly found throughout the peninsula. This type is not as prevailing as in western Alpine valleys though, at least amongst men.


  • Final morphotypes :

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.