Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rovigo : Veneto (Italy)

The Greeks founded Adria in the XII-XI century b.C. on a former channel of the Po (nowadays it is the lower course of the Canal Bianco river); the channel was given the name Adria and the sea was given the name Adriatic after the colony name. Etruscans and Venetians inhabited the area during the VI and V century b.C., then it was conquered by the Romans. Etruscans and Romans decontaminated the area by digging canals for drainage.

The name Polesine was given to the area after the fall of Rome and the disasters in the hydrography of the whole Veneto, traditionally referred to as the breach at Cucca in 589; Adria and its port lost their significance. In the meantime Rovigo was founded and fortified later in the X century, and provided of a city wall in the XII century; it became the new centre of the area.




  • Sample :

Full scale

  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Intermediate complexion (chestnut or blonde hair, light eyes, ...), leptomorphic, rather narrow face, long and straight high-rooted nose that can get arched, close set eyes, large jaw, pointy chin
~ Dinaromorphic Nordo-Mediterranean




Part of a rather pan-Italian variability, these phenotypes are specifically North Italian due to complexion. Very arched noses may be proper to the Adriatic. It seems to be a rather male phenotype as far as complexion is involved. Darker pan-Italian individuals are found.





- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, brachymorphic, round face, little and low-rooted nose that can get snub-tipped, wide set eyes
~ Alpinoid




This is a classical type in Italy even though noses might exhibit a peculiar local flavour as such types were absent from Treviso for instance. Intermediate areas are yet to be sampled.


  • Final morphotypes :

3 comments:

  1. Not too awake to make long analysis but what do you think of the quite noticeable female-only type represented specially by A2, A4, A5 and A7?

    The traits I see are oval fleshy smooth faces with very rounded features that are not usual anywhere I can recall, at least not at this frequency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, this is a very striking female type that you detect. Somehow, the female morphotype tends to approximate those women as the type is quite prevailing. This type seems to be present in Vicenza as well? It might be a specific Venetian female type, I don't know, I have a hard time to precisely 'understand' how Adriatic Italy works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have a hard time to precisely 'understand' how Adriatic Italy works".

    Hehe, me too. A lot of diversity, really. :)

    The other day I realized it should be a paedomorphic trait because I saw children (girls) with similar traits at the street. They don't grow to keep such traits over here though, not normally at least.

    I can see the similitudes in Vicenza now you mention. They are somewhat different though.

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.