Saturday, July 3, 2010

Minorca : Balearic Islands (Spain)

The island is known for its collection of megalithic stone monuments : navetes, taules and talaiots, which speak of a very early prehistoric human activity. Some of the earliest culture on Minorca was influenced by other Mediterranean cultures, including the Minoans of ancient Crete. For example the use of inverted plastered timber columns at Knossos is thought to have influenced early peoples of Minorca in imitating this practice.




  • Sample :

Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark, leptomorphic, long and triangular head, long and straight or convex nose, close-set eyes, full eyebrows, pointy chin and large jaw
~ Dinaricized Atlanto-Mediterranean




This is the basic "horsy" Catalan type and is quite representative of the Eastern Pyrenees and the Mediterranean coast. Lighter individuals are found as well. Notice the mouth shape.




- Type 2 : Intermediate complexion, brachymorphic, large face, square-box head, little and straight puffy nose, rather distanced eyes, little eyelids on some individuals, large jaw
~ Alpino-Mediterranean




A classical pan-Iberian type, puffier individuals (large puffy nose, distanced eyes, ...) do belong to a classical Catalan coastal type as previously identified in proper Catalonia.


  • Final morphotypes :

4 comments:

  1. "Notice the mouth shape".

    Sure, quite curious. A slight prognathism of the upper jaw, that also seems related to some "facial tension" (peculiar expression) along the nose area.

    Some, maybe many, individuals are clearly Iberian, NE Iberian mostly I'd say (occasionally even with a not too clear "Basque" tendency). But others are very much "Mediterranean" (in an exceptionally marked sense in the context of Iberia, not Europe) with an ill-defined "Italian" tendency.

    It's complex, so I'm going to try to regroup them with my best sense:

    Clearly NE Iberian/Pyrenean types: A1, A5, A6, B4, B5, C3, D1, D7, D8

    Other mainland Iberian types: A2, B7, B8, C1, C5, C7, D2, D3, D4, D6

    Mix of Iberian with some other Mediterranean element: B2, C6, D5

    Italy/Alps looking: A3, A8, C2, C8

    Other Mediterranean?: B3

    A few I could not even force in any category because their faces are not really visible.

    The Balearic Islands of Majorca and Minorca were colonized first with Cardium Pottery Neolithic and the exact origins of these first colonists are not known (could be East Iberia but much more likely SE France or Italy). I believe that there might have been other arrivals from the NE (I've read Corsica somewhere) in the Megalithic period, which is a late occurrence in these islands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. I really like this article. It contains a lot of useful information. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all. And of course nice review about the application.
    vakantiehuis dordogne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. I really like this article. It contains a lot of useful information. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all. And of course nice review about the application.
    vakantiehuis dordogne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for the great list and I appreciate your efforts to bring such a huge list for us. I really appreciate posts, which might be of very useful. I look forward to future updates. Once again thanks. Keep smiling.
    Get More Twitter Followers

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.