Monday, April 12, 2010

Corfu : Ionian Islands (Greece)

According to the local tradition Corcyra (Κόρκυρα) was the Homeric island of Scheria (Σχερία), and its earliest inhabitants the Phaeacians (Φαίακες). At a date no doubt previous to the foundation of Syracuse it was peopled by settlers from Corinth. The splendid commercial position of Corcyra on the highway between Greece and the West favoured its rapid growth and, influenced perhaps by the presence of non-Corinthian settlers, its people, quite contrary to the usual practice of Corinthian colonies, maintained an independent and even hostile attitude towards the mother city.







  • Sample :
Full scale

  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 : Dark complexion (dark hair yet pale skin), dark eyes, leptomorphic, narrow face, long and arched high-rooted nose, close set eyes, large jaw, pointy chin
~ Dinaromorphic (Eastern) Mediterranean




A classical Greek type (it can also be found amongst Albanians), it is quite prevailing in Corfu. Lighter variants can be found :





- Type 2 : Dark complexion (black hair, ...), brachymorphic, large face, square-box head, rather bulbous forehead, arched nose, close-set eyes, large jaw
~ Dinaricized Alpino-Mediterranean




This type basically constitutes a more brachymorphic variant of type 1, arched noses being the main features. More classical Alpino-Mediterranean phenotypes are found though :




  • Final morphotypes :

4 comments:

  1. Woot! No penguins?! ;)

    I thought you had got tired and quited your research...

    On topic: for a change female faces seem more idiosyncratic than male ones. The super-Greek noses (straight with high root) seem to have only female representatives, who are also brunette with high bird-like eyebrows. Very classical!

    The other type also seems best represented by women: these with broad faces and often prominent noses, which is another SW Balcanic type, IMO, that reminds me of Albanians from Macedonia somewhat. However the last woman (C6 in the main sequence) has a somewhat different face which I'd describe as "Romanian" instead (more "Baltoid"?). But sure: they have elements in common and all represent Balcanic types.

    I haven't been mentioning my "Basque index" as of late, because it was low or null. However in this case some of the men could pass. Still low anyhow (2-3).

    I also see some that appeal to me as Italian (2), Spaniard (3) or British/Germanic (2) but they are just few of each too. Overall they are pretty much Balcanic or ambiguous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you were only taking a well deserved Easter break.
    Keep up the good work.
    voyager

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking to yourself, Heraus? :p

    But do keep up the good work!

    Andrei

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, very interesting. It proves how, although there are obvious differences throughout Europe, there are variations of people everywhere. In Wales and Ireland, there are people who could pass for Mediterranean people, even in England, and here we see that some Greeks could pass for British people. Strange old world hey?!

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.