Sunday, January 3, 2010

Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (Portugal)

"Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro" is a historical province of Portugal located in the northeastern corner of the country the name of which refers to the location on the "other" (eastern) side of such mountains as Marão, Alvão and Gerês, which separate the coast from the interior. The area was settled by the Gallaeci and the most important towns in the region are Vila Real and Bragança (from Celtic brigantion meaning "hillock" even though the area was only superficially celticized).


  • Sample :
Full scale

  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 :
Dark hair, pale skin, brachymorphic, broad face, round features, relative long and straight nose, wide set eyes, from dark to light eyes ("green-blue")
~ Alpinoid



This type was somehow previously identified in Spanish Extremadura (Cáceres). An even more Portuguese-looking variant is characterized by wide-spaced sloping eyes, a short broad nose and thick browridges (this type would fit a "Berid" definition) : (it seems to be mostly masculine)





- Type 2 : Light hair, pale skin, leptomorphic, narrow "horsy" face, long and narrow nose, close set eyes
~ Nordoid



As expected, dark and gracile - hence "Mediterranoid" - counterparts are to be found just like in Spanish Extremadura :


  • Final morphotypes :

8 comments:

  1. The robust "Alpinoid" people do give a North African vibe indeed, so I would agree with your "Berid" description.

    The second "Mediterranid" individual (first woman) also has some "horsy" vibe, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right : a North African vibe indeed. I've got some samples in North Africa, I'll update them.

    The second "Mediterranid" individual (first woman) also has that "horsy" vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4241758245_181b1915c5_o.jpg

    man from the left, not native portuguese origin, probably a gypsy.

    The majour of the samples look atlanto med, alpinoids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.

      I'm Portuguese from Porto, and no Portuguese person would see him as ethnic Portuguese. He looks foreign to me and I'm sure everybody would regard him likewise.

      He would be best regarded as an ethnic minority.

      Delete
    2. He's probably an Indian, from ex-colony, Goa.

      He wouldn't be out of place among other Goans.
      http://www.goanvoice.ca/2008/issue26/img/young_goans.jpg

      Delete

    3. True, same impression here.
      Doesn´t look nothing like the Portuguese I´m used to see.

      Delete
  4. These people don't look Portuguese.

    Someone linked me this blog, and these people do not look like the average person from Portugal.
    Perhaps they would be considered by Portuguese by the blogger, but they would not be considered Portuguese by the actual people of Portuguese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fully portuguese, if you don't like the photo cause they debunk your pseudo Atlantic fantasy it isn't the blogger's problem... you are barely a full- white people, and you know it dear gayjiin.....

      Delete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.