Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Reggio : Calabria (Italy)

Calabria was first settled by Italic Oscan-speaking tribes, amongst them were the Itali. Founded in 720 BC by the Ancient Greeks as Rhegion (meaning "it breaks away"), the settlement of Reggio was a well established part of Magna Graecia. The colony was settled by the inhabitants of Chalcis and Messenia. Sicilian-Calabrian is the vernacular language of the area with some pockets of Griko, the direct descendant of Greek as spoken in Magna Graecia.

  • Sample :
Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 :
Dark, brachymorphic, broad face, broad cheekbones, very broad jaw, little and concave low-rooted nose, close-set and narrow dark eyes ("pseudo epicanthus")
~ Alpino-Mediterranean



This stunning and mostly masculine type is exclusively concentrated in Southern Calabria. More classical-looking individuals can be found though :



- Type 2 :
Very dark complexion, dark hair, leptomorphic, long face, broad jaw, long and straight high-rooted nose, full lips, close-set and narrow dark eyes, thin eyebrows
~ Mediterranean



This very dark type - even for South Italian standards - is mostly feminine. Once more, it seems to be Calabrian-only as Sicilians on the other side of the strait are never that extreme.


  • Final morphotypes :

3 comments:

  1. I can pick apart two subtypes in the Mediterranean variant: Mediterranean as in Navarrese and Mediterranean as in Arab/Gypsy. The most noticeable difference is the nose (short and narrow in the first type and quite prominent in the second with a tendency to approach the lip). However this is not the only difference, just a quick reference.

    I would like to insist here that the "Mediterranean" type is a mere Nordic cliché. There are many many different "Mediterranean" types.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also it's kinda funny when you write "very dark complexion" and the first pic is palest guy of all the series or almost. You also do the inverse with "light complexion" and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Very dark" is a bit of an exaggeration indeed. In my mind, I was alluding to women in the same category : they're indeed very dark even though it's a matter of sun exposition. I'm pretty sure I can tan as much.

    ReplyDelete

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.