Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cuneo : Piedmont (Italy)

Piedmont was inhabited in early historic times by Celtic-Ligurian tribes such as the Taurini and the Salassi. They were later submitted by the Romans (c. 220 BC), who founded several colonies there including Augusta Taurinorum (Turin) and Eporedia (Ivrea). Cuneo (Coni in Piedmontese) was founded in the XIIth century. On the contrary Alba's origins date before the Roman civilization, connected probably to the presence of Celt and Ligurian tribes in the area.

Piedmontese is the vernacular language of the area even though a form of Alpine Provençal is spoken in the Alpine valleys bordering Provence in France.

  • Sample :
Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1 :
Light pigmentation, light eyes ("aqua blue"), brachymorphic, little and large low-rooted nose, wide set eyes, large jaws
~ CM/Alpinoid



This the archetypal Piedmontese phenotype. It's abundantly found in neighbouring Alpine Provence as well. A darker series :



- Type 2 : Dark complexion, dark eyes, leptomorphic, narrow face, long and straight high-rooted nose nose, close set eyes, pointy chin
~ Mediterranoid



This phenotype is quite dominant on the Ligurian coast and around Nice in France : it's fairly "Italian-looking" whatever that means. A less archetypal and more robust series :


A rarer depigmented variant that would be named "Nordoid" amongst some sectors :


  • Final morphotypes :

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.