Saturday, January 23, 2010

Agrigento : Sicily (Italy)

The area around modern Agrigento was settled by the Sicani, who according to Thucydides arrived from the Iberian Peninsula. Important historical evidence has been discovered in the form of cave drawings by the Sicani, dated from the end of the Pleistocene Epoch, around 8000 BC.

Agrigento's establishment took place around 582-580 BCE and is attributed to Greek colonists from Gela, who named it Akragas. Akragas grew rapidly, becoming one of the richest and most famous of the Greek colonies of Magna Graecia. The city was disputed between the Romans and the Carthaginians during the First Punic War : the Romans eventually captured Akragas in 210 BCE and renamed it Agrigentum, although it remained a largely Greek-speaking community for centuries thereafter.

  • Sample :
Full scale


  • Brief anthropological analysis :

- Type 1:
Dark complexion, leptomorphic, long and narrow nose, very large jaw, close-set eyes, prominent chin
~ Atlanto-Mediterranean




Somehow, this robust phenotype is not very Italian-looking : it may remind us of some Iberian Atlanto-Med phenotypes. It might just be a matter of perception.


- Type 2: Dark complexion, brachymorphic, arched nose, very large jaw, high cheekbones, rather distanced eyes on women
~ Dinaricized Alpino-Mediterranean




This phenotype is more on par with what one can expect from Sicily. More gracile and very "Italic-looking" individuals - that were virtually absent from Calabria - are to be found :




  • Final morphotypes :

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've chosen to let people comment freely on my posts. Nevertheless, you'll lose your time taunting me and calling me a fascist (which I'm really not) : I pray you to read my introduction which will reassure that my intentions genuinely aim at achieving amateurish knowledge. I understand that you may not share my passion for the history of the peopling of the World, just don't let me know as clear conscience gained by bashing a humble documentary work is useless.